Monday, December 11, 2006

Bread and Circuses

Players facts:
  • The reservable room seats 50 people, with additional standing room.
  • The room has its own bar/bartender.
  • There is no cost to rent the room, IF our group drinks/eats $800 worth of stuff.
  • If we fail to reach $800, we would owe 1/2 of the difference.
Now, you might be saying, "Hey, Dan - who do you think I am, Bill Freaking Pickett? What the hell are you talking about? What's with those crazy numbers? I mean, do I have to call up Mr. Demars to translate your jibber jabber?"

To that, I would say, "If our group only orders $600 worth of food and drink, we would owe Players half of $200, which equals $100. $100 is commonly referred to as a 'Benjamin' in the hip-hop community."


Further considerations:
  • I don't love Players, but I like the idea of having the reunion at a public place. I believe the turnout will be higher at a well-known establishment. No one has shouted down Players. Yet.
  • I like the fact we wouldn't have to set up or clean anything.
  • Some may balk at the $800 caveat, but consider this: that's only 80 orders of chicken tenders. It's only 160 Jagerbombs. And if you wash down your chicken tenders with a Jagerbomb, the $800 goal will be reached pretty easily.
So there you have it. Please sound off in the comments.

Oh, and one more thing. Robert believes that the request for new 97kix drama was justified, so here goes:
Hey Rob! How's the Virginia suburbs? Why don't you grow a pair and move into the big city? Are you too scared? Are you scared of the big bad District of Columbia? Waaah! Waaah! I'm Robert, and I'm afraid to walk down to Ben's Chili Bowl, because I'm white and I'm a racist and my wife keeps my balls in her purse!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't speak to Robert's stay in Virginia, racism, or the balls in purse comment, however I am in support of the Players plan.

Easy to get to. Relaxing environment. Works for me.

Mr. Tejeda

Anonymous said...

I, too, support Players.

Anonymous said...

Players sounds like a good fit.

Anonymous said...

Players works for me.

Anonymous said...

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what is the maximum capacity for the room? Surely at least 50 people and a date will be attending that night. Is it realistic?

Anonymous said...

Seating for 50, with lots of standing room and includes the balcony (which has heaters). The owner told me that they get a lot of class reunions our size (and larger)and have never had a problem with space. You also have to consider that people will come and go at differing times, so I don't see space as a problem. We also have full ability to spread out into te rest of the establishment if needed. Like Millie said at one point, the Class of 95 reunion was held there, with 90% turnout and a good time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...delicious bread.

Players sounds just fine.

danelleu said...

I think Players would be great. It's easy to find, great parking, and very conducive to a come and go as you please environment.

Anonymous said...

If 8 people can't drink $100 worth of beer and booze each then they, sir, are an embarassment. Players it is.

Anonymous said...

I support Players to!

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Players sounds good to me.

Katie (Ware) Howard

christina said...

Thought I'd put in my two cents after simply just sitting back and reading for a while. Players sounds like a good idea...good food, our own bartender...what more can you ask for?

About "family time", if we still want that, what about Exploration Place? I believe they have a group rate and now they have traveling exhibits so it's changed a bit since it first opened. Everyone can do their own thing and they have their own restaurant if we wanted to eat, chat or show off our kids. We could also reserve the Grand Hall or Cafe for our group, but you can only do that after hours in the evening and we probably wanted something more in the afternoon.
Christina (Sabaj) Peek