Thursday, March 01, 2007

You Have Options

Wow! Wasn't it nice to take a break? Wasn't it soooo nice? And wasn't 30 Rock sooo funny tonight? Can you believe that they made an MC Skat Kat joke? LOL, guys! Right? That was soooo LOL!

Okay.

So.

You might have noticed Michelle's comment about Players Sports Bar and/or Grill; reserving the establishment will require a deposit of $250. Further, our group will be obligated to spend an additional $800 on food and/or drinks. Further, they're adding gratuities to our checks, so there's no chance we can stiff the help.

So.

The thing is...

Does that sound kind of ridiculous to anyone else? I mean, like, it's Players, you know? Players is good and all, but is it worth being on the line for a thousand clams? Methinks Players doth protest charge too much.

So.

I called up an old pal from the Class of '98 (Losers! Am I right, folks? Those guys couldn't win a spirit stick if their lives depended on it! Am I right?!). His name rhymes with Mack Smuhkruckers. Anywho, he's down with Oscar's Sports Bar, which is the bar inside the downtown Warren Theater.

Smuhkruckers says that we can get a portion of that place reserved. (We'd be separated from the commoners by a classy velvet rope!) We can eat there. We can drink there.

Best of all, there would be no additional costs. No deposit. No $800 minimum.

So.

I'm asking.

Can we dump Players and move the party to Old Town?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few questions:

1)Capacity?
2)What if the 98 grad in question is no longer employed as Oscar's come December? Do we still get this deal?
3)Hours available?
4)Are we putting this to a "vote", or just discussing?

Just to be clear, the deposit at Players is fully refundable, and if we don't hit the $800 minimum, we owe half of the difference, so maximum $400 if no one drinks or eats anything. Not trying to sway people either way, just clarifying.

Anonymous said...

Oops. On question 2 above I meant November. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I like the old town idea. Let's do something different from previous classes.

Anonymous said...

I propose:

1. we open up the blog for other possibilities on Friday night for 1 week.
2. we then post a blog with voting possibilities; all votes with names will be counted. Voting can have a month window so nobody complains.
3. we do whatever the final vote is.

dn said...

The upstairs section of the bar usually holds around 50 or 60, but we can modify the number of tables to suit our needs. It will be big enough for us.

Regarding Millie's comment - I don't mean to make this a 2-horse race. If there are yet more suggestions on a location, please make them known. (I'm guessing that is not the case, though, as no one brought up another site back when we were discussing Players.)

dn said...

Forgot to mention - both managers of Oscar's have BC ties, so yes, the no-deposit deal will remain intact even if Mr. Smuhkruckers seeks employment elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Oscars would be fun. I probably won't even make it to the reunion but I would enjoy Oscar's over Players.

I place my official vote.

Frank

The boys finished the season strong as well
http://www.bcchs.org/sports/Wrestling/wrestling.htm

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Frank, to your wrestlers! I know they work very hard.

By my count, it's been a week since we asked for suggestions; should we hold an official voting between now and April 15?

Millie

Anonymous said...

does anyone even check this website anymore?

dn said...

Yes, and not just people from Tyler, Texas, either.

The website has recorded over 5,000 visits (non-unique) since its inception, including over 100 visits (again, non-unique visits) this week.

Anonymous said...

I think Oscars is fine. Player's back room can get a little crowded. My vote is Old Town.

Anonymous said...

Old Town is my preference.

--Diane Brown

Anonymous said...

My vote is Oscar's. I have been in the room at Players for other parties and it seems to get crowded fast.
Katie (Ware) Howard

Anonymous said...

Although I won't be there I vote for Oscar's. It has more room than Player's, and then there are other places to go within walking distance.

Anonymous said...

I vote Oscar's.
Beth C

Anonymous said...

All the hot girls go to Oscars!

danelleu said...

I vote for Oscars also, and not just because I'm a lemming. No place is going to be perfect but at least there we'll have other places within walking distance.
Danelle

Josh Smith said...

Oscar's would be my pick.

Anonymous said...

Oscar's sounds fine