Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Better Know A Classmate: Michelle W

You're married. How happy were you to ditch Wapelhorst for the greener pastures of Ronsick?

Obviously, my married name is easier pronounce, and leaves less variety for those dishing out nicknames. However, Ronsick seems to have it’s drawbacks as well. 1) The “n” and “s” are frequently transposed, leaving “Rosnick”, even by some of my own relatives after more than 5 years of marriage. 2) I still get asked if I’m related to the Ronsick that played football for K-State, even as recently as this summer when the exterminator paid us a visit and turned out to be a superfan. Superfans are the worst, as they seem to think that I should divulge insider info from Mike’s tenure on the team, and some people even think that we still have an intimate knowledge of the team that we are dying to discuss at length.

Your husband was a punter for K-State. Does he still do any punting in his leisure time?

Ah, a sore subject in the Ronsick house. Does he go out onto the field to test his leg strength and flexibility? No. Instead he picks up anything in the house that resembles a ball, and kicks it around the house. This has left me with several broken pictures frames and the like, yet he persists despite my request that he stop. The worst part is that he has by example taught Keira, our 18 month old, to do the same thing. She goes nuts if she even sees a football, and “football” was literally one of her first words. My little angel in ribbons and lace doesn’t care for dolls, but is close to throwing a spiral.

My revenge? When we meet new people who I suspect might be K-State superfans, I am sure to let them know that Mike played for 5 years under the newly retired Coach Snyder. The impending slew of questions aggravates the hell out of him (might be something to remember for the reunion).

Please describe an average workday in horrifically mundane detail.

I will describe two average days, as I ordinarily am home with Keira all day, but on Thursday and Friday afternoons I work at Galichia Heart Hospital.

On a non-work day, I wake up about 6:30AM when my husband kisses me goodbye as he heads off to work. I nearly drift back to sleep when I am serenaded by Keira at about 7:15 or 7:30 AM. She doesn’t cry, but starts singing to me. I then let her lay in bed with me and we watch the first of many episodes of Little Einsteins, Keira’s true obsession. For those of you who don’t have toddlers, LITTLE Einsteins is the preschool version of BABY Einstein, in which 4 kids fly around the world to exotic destinations in their friend, Rocket. There is a different classical song played in every episode, such as The Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi, along with a work of art, such as The Scream by Edvard Munch, included in each episode. They set their own words to the songs, which have a real knack for sticking in my head (read on).

Anyway, we have breakfast about 8 AM, which consists of a rotation of pancakes or oatmeal. Then, I ask the question that I ask at least 58 times per day, “Keira, do you need to go potty?” We are getting close to being fully trained, though now she drops to her knees and acts like a ball of Jello when I take her hand to lead her into the bathroom. We then play games, color, dance, etc., until snack time at 10:00, when Keira eats a banana. We then usually spend some time outdoors, either running errands, going to the park, playing by the lake in our neighborhood (Aberdeen), walking to New Market Square for some shopping, etc. Home in time for lunch at 11:30 or 12, then another episode of Little Einsteins before a nap around one o’clock. Naptime is a new luxury of mine, as she did not nap AT ALL until she was 12 months old. She now sleeps anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, so I at least get a little time to catch up on chores, emails, read all the bitchy comments on the 10 year reunion website, etc.

After nap, yet another episode of Little Einsteins, followed by an afternoon snack, and sincere anticipation of Daddy’s return from work between 4 and 4:30. We then cook supper about 5:30 or 6, and the evening activities vary from more games, to a trip to my parents pool, to a trip to SuperTarget, etc. Bathtime and bedtime prayers come at 8:30 PM, followed by a FINAL episode of Little Einsteins, and then she goes down shortly after 9. I then get about an hour or so with Mike for activities that I shall not share here, and then I cash in after the nightly news.


NOW, I do work on Thursday and Friday afternoons for Galichia Medical Group as a physician’s assistant. For those who don’t know about this profession, I am licensed under a physician to see patients, write prescriptions for any and all medications, perform minor surgical procedures, first assist at surgery….basically my protocol states that I can perform any duties that my supervising physician designates, with the one exception of performing abortions. My supervising physician has to be reachable by phone within 30 minutes, but need not be onsite.

You may be asking “why not just become a doctor”? Several reasons 1) The cost of my post graduate education was miniscule compared to that of medical school, 2) the PA program is 2 years in length, 3) studies show that it takes an average of 13 to 15 years for a physician to make enough money to surpass that of a PA, given the longer length of medical school, the lousy resident pay, etc., 4) And the most important reason for me is that I am able to work part-time so I can devote the majority of my time to my family. Did you know that 50% of female MD’s are currently not practicing medicine but instead have chosen to raise their families?

Anyway, I am scheduled to work from 12:30 or so to 5 or so on Thursdays and Fridays, during which time my husband comes home to be with Keira. I ordinarily work at Galichia Heart Hospital, and primarily help the other PA’s to catch up on their work. I am what you might call the all purpose player…I dismiss patients, see patients being admitted from the office or ER, go to Wesley or Via Christi to see Galichia’s patients who are there, etc. Have had 2 code blues, and both patient’s survived! One drawback goes back to the Little Einsteins, however. With the multitude of classical music ringtones that fill our hospital, I find myself singing the words from the Little Eisteins when I hear the ringers.

I also work PRN, which means that if people take vacations, etc., my boss asks me if I can help fill in those days. If I want to do it, I do, if I don’t, I simply say no. Works out well for them and for me, as I can gain a nice amount of cash for my family, while only being away a short time. In fact, I think that this situation is a blessing as it gets me out of “Mommy Mode” if only for a short while.

How did you decide on your daughter's name?

In considering names, we repeatedly found that any name suggested was already taken by either a member of my or Mike’s family. I have 18 aunts/uncles that are almost all married, along with over 50 first cousins……not to mention all of Mike’s relatives.

So, while watching television, we saw a clip from Pirates of the Caribbean featuring Keira Knightly. We both liked the name, and thought she was pretty good looking, so we went with it.

She is huge, by the way, taking after her father who is 6’2” and 195#. Greater than 100th percentile in height, and 80th percentile in weight, and nearly as big as me already.

On a scale of 1-10, how attractive do you find Keira Knightly? How attractive does your husband find her?

Based on appearance alone, I would probably say 7 or 8. Her teeth bug me, and she’s had some funky hairstyles of late. I do not think that she is anorexic as she has been accused, and also sympathize with this assumption as it has been made about me in the past.

Mike says a solid 8, on appearance. He hates her voice and is easily annoyed by her, though finds her easy on the eyes.

"Normal" Keira

"Funky" Keira

Your father does a lot of woodworking. Is your home full crap that he's fashioned?


I would hardly call it crap given that people pay hundreds, even thousands for some of the pieces he has done. Anyone who went to my parent’s home in high school knows that if termites hit we were screwed. Woodwork everywhere, mainly “intarsia” which is the official term for this type of art. My house isn’t at this extreme yet, though I am blessed to have a lot of my dad’s creations (including an ostrich egg with intricate carvings that he crafted), as well as pieces by Mike (graphic designer and illustrator).

Don't take it personally -- I also call faberge eggs "crap". We took Human Parasitology together. Do you remember much of the material?

Sadly very little. Mainly a bunch of terms and pictures of eggs and such connected by arrows that formed circles of life for the parasites and their hosts.

You seriously don't remember any parasite life cycle? Not one?

If I really tried, I could probably dish one out. However, the material from that course had to be removed from my limited memory in order to make room for things like medication dosages and treatment protocols and such.

What sound or noise do you love?

The sound of the garage door opening when Mike arrives home after a long day with Keira.
The sound of Keira laughing and giggling when I do a backflip in my parents pool.
I enjoy listening to James Blunt.
I like the silence of a midnight skinny dip swim in Colwich, Kansas.

What is your favorite curse word?

Little Bastard. This is because when my mom was still teaching middle school in Colwich she frequently without hesitation referred to her students as “little bastards” when recalling the events of the day for us.

What have you been reading?

A lot of online medical journals and coursework for CME (continuing medical education). To maintain certification as a PA, we have to complete 100 hours of CME every 2 years, as well as take a recertification exam every 6 years. Galichia pays for me to go to whatever conference for this that I want, but it is more convenient for me to do most of it from home.

What was your favorite class at BC? Why?

Tough to pick an overall favorite, but probably chemistry with Dostert. I fondly remember him pelting people with marshmallows that he had put in his “vacuum”.

Is there anything you would have done differently in your time at BC?

Studied less, and relaxed more. Didn’t realize how much fun life could be until college. Made some good friendships in high school that have lasted through the years, but many more from college. Probably had a lot to do with the fact that I didn’t enjoy the pleasure of a bottle of Captain Morgan until I had graduated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

FYI, your name is spelled incorrectly on the Galicia website, when clicking on your "bio."

Anonymous said...

I know....it's a bad picture too.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I saw the Search for the Dead Man's Chest last month...I really hope that Kiera/Elizabeth ends up with the pirate, not the Orlando Bloom character...

Millie

Anonymous said...

Michelle, it's great to hear that you are doing so well, congrats on the new addition to the family. I would just like to comment that one of the few things we learn in those "extra" two years of medical school is how to interpret statistics & to realize that when someone gives you a ridiculous stat like 50% of female doctors don't practice, is a load of crap.

Tony Healy